At the 2022 Vino Camino, one of the highlights of the day was definitely the Lachsschinken Pie, served under the tree on Hutton Vale Farm alongside Hutton Vale Farm and Henschke Riesling. Mark has been generous enough to share the delicious recipe with us so we can share it with our valued friends.
The Angas Family.
2 medium brown onions (sliced thinly)
1 tablespoonolive oil
2 teaspoons fresh thyme – chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley – chopped
Pinch sea salt flakes
Pinch black pepper – ground
2 sheets “Careme” all butter puff pastry
150g Lachsschinken (sliced very thinly)
300g cooked & sliced potatoes (cold)
120g Barossa Valley Cheese Company Camembert or Brie- sliced thinly
- Cook onions gently in olive oil, until lightly golden, mix in parsley and thyme, season with salt and peppery taste, cool and reserve.
- Cut two large dinner plate sized circles out of the pastry sheets, one slightly larger than the other.
- On the smaller pastry circle lay out a quarter of the cooked onions in a circle, leaving a clear edge of approximately 2 cm all around.
- Cover onions with sliced potatoes then top with another portion of the onions.
- Follow this with a layer of Lachsschinken and half of the cheese.
- Repeat this layering process, using remaining potatoes, another portion of onions plus the remaining ham and cheese and press into a small domed shape.
- Spread the top layer with the final portion of onions. Cover with remaining pastry disc and crimp edges together, brush with beaten egg.
- Cut a couple of small slits in the top of the pastry to allow steam to come out during cooking so the pie gets crisp not soggy.
- Bake at 180c for approximately 20 minutes or until golden all over (especially on the base) allow to cool completely before cutting into wedges and serving at room temperature.
- Serve it with Hutton Vale Farm Riesling!
Lachsschinken is a Barossa delicacy, and the name means “ham like salmon”. It is in fact a very fine, cured, and cold smoked loin of pork.
If you are pescatarian you can substitute the ham with smoked salmon, the onions with leeks and the thyme with dill